Facebook Fan Pages: Why the Heck Not?
February 20th, 2010
“[Researchers] surveyed customers at a [Houston-based] restaurant chain, Dessert Gallery, that had no Facebook presence before the study. Naturally, as part of the study, they created a Facebook Page for their fans. Over the next three months, they surveyed 1700 customers at the chain and found that FB fans:
- Made 36 percent more visits to DG’s stores each month.
- Spent 45 percent more of their eating-out dollars at DG.
- Spent 33 percent more at DG’s stores.
- Had 14 percent higher emotional attachment to the DG brand.
- Had 41 percent greater psychological loyalty toward DG.
… [T]here are a number of cautions here, too: only 5% of the 13,000 customers actually became Facebook Fans. [The researcher] says this ‘indicates that Facebook fan pages may work best as niche marketing programs targeted to customers who regularly use Facebook.’”
OK, so that may seem a little obvious, but my takeaway is this: It doesn’t cost anything to create a Facebook Fan page for your business, and here’s evidence suggesting that it may in fact help, so just do it. Why the heck not?